Buying one might make you feel like you’re part of a super hip and ethical club. It might make you feel like you’re not rubbing your lymph nodes against pvc. Before you go out and buy one, consider what you will do with your old mat. The most eco-friendly choice? Buy sustainable the first time. Reduce. Recycle. Reuse.
PrAna Revolution Mat: the Smell!
prAna Revolution Mat: The Size!
PrAna Revolution Mat: the Construction
PrAna Revolution Mat: Joy!
Posted in Bent, clothes, Green
Tagged eco, Green, john friend, mat, prana, prop, revolution, sustainable, yoga
posted by eb
Think of eco-shoes.
Images of hemp and cork and ergonomic clogs.
Check out New York’s Sustainable NYC, where going granola is not only in and affordable, it’s crazy adorable… (they have way more in-store than online.)
posted by ebean
Dear Good People of POM Wonderful,
I’d like to take this moment to thank you for sending the promo case of pomegranate juice to all us ElephantBeans. Being as we are all tree hugging hippie types that are trying to change the world while we drink fresh juices and eat healthy, local, and organic food, we appreciated that your 100% Pomegranate Juice is in fact 100% pomegranate juice. And it tastes good too.
Although we enjoyed reading and learning about the many health benefits and recipes listed on your website, we would like to add some of our own adventures with Pom…
- Juicybean used her bottle of POM Wonderful as an all-natural hair dye. Sexy!
- Alcmaeonid prefers to use his for mouthwash.
- Wherehaveyoubean discovered that pouring a bottle of POM on the ice-covered sidewalk was a dog-friendly alternative to rock salt. Good thinking Wherehaveyoubean!
- Unsinkablemoo was short on cash and out of liquid laundy detergent. To her amazement, POM was colorsafe and even removed the ring-around-the-collar!
- Upon reading this article, Freebean was thoughtful enough to send a bottle to Bob Dole. No more Viagra!
- Lalabean’s special effects pal confessed that POM is the secret ingredient in the industry’s best horror film gore…
- …Which, of course, inspired Danbean to try it out as a bullfighter-style diversion for hungry vampires. Turns out it also works on bulls and snakes for some odd reason. Go figure.
- Somehow, Seabean discovered that POM is an excellent stain remover and now is the proud owner of a squeaky clean toilet bowl.
- Beanism is currently driving across the fine state of Rhode Island in a POM powered car.
I’m not sure how much of this really happened because as I write this, I am really fucking high on POM.
Posted in Amazing, body, Green, Grub
Tagged benefits, drink, eco, food, Green, health, hippie, juice, just kidding sort of, pom wonderful, pomegranate, reviews, sustainable, tree hugger
posted by freebean
Not into donning the tiny bikram shorts?
Looking for a little more coverage?
*Enter Dear Lil’ Devas.*
The makers of Toronto’s locally created, customizable, uber comfy bamboo and organic cotton yoga garb offer just that. Among their most unique pieces is the multi-tasking blanket/wrap – yes that is right, a blanket (amazing for svasana or snuggling) and a long wrap skirt (for the yogi, kilt-like apparel to guard your loins after sweatin’ it out yoga style; for yoginis, I don’t really have to say anything else, do I?).
Debuting in April are their SNUG, lady capris (sorry, no links yet – patience my dears) – wonder if these will be the Bikram shorts competitor(?), but I have a feeling that they will have a lil’ more length and of course are a bamboo/cotton interlocking blend.
And you gotta love their ‘good vibes policy,’ which may help you feel better about accumulating more yoga stuff, it certainly beats those sweat-shop bi-products with synthetic (yes, poly and ester are cousins of plastic) fibers that don’t allow your skin to breathe and fill up landfills without the hope of ever decomposing after they go out of fashion.
*freebean now steps down from the soap box.*
In a nutshell, DLD takes less from the earth and makes beautiful things with it, and then gives back to the community. And if that wasn’t enough to make you a fan, now Dear Lil’ Devas is hosting a drawing for $500 (a credit for their yoga gear for your cash-strapped, conscious lifestyle), simply become their FB fan and you’ll be entered! (The odds are pretty good, since they have a rather intimate FB fanbase at the moment, although I have a feeling that may change soon…)
Be sure to become a fan before March 13th, 2009 (think of it as your kharmic litmus test)!!!
posted by ebeans
Buy a T-shirt! Why to buy…
Posted in Bent, clothes, Money & Deals, Politics
Tagged bamboo, clothes, Green, organic, sustainable, t-shirt, yoga, yoga dork
posted by freebean
Despite the alluring sales and cheap clothing – this fascinating 20-minute look at the materials economy will make you think twice about how and why you are spending your hard earned bucks.
the story of stuff
A great book to read is No Logo by Naomi Klein (see if your library has a copy!).
Posted by ebean
Etsy Love Card
Consumerism…ugh. But if you’re going to buy something, might as well make it awesome. The Elephantbeans staff has put together this list of sexy/romantic gifts to help you get some.
1. Subscription to Suicide Girls
2. Organic undies and Sexy Lingerie from Tree Pruning Scraps
3. Find locally made, organic, fair trade chocolates (we’ve seen some amazing stuff at Sustainable NY)
4. Cook dinner at home. Here are some “no-fuss” ideas
5. Create a playlist — sexy or romantic and burn it to a cd
6. Handmade stuff from Etsy: search sex, valentine’s, and lingerie
7. Sexy Valentine’s Gift Kits + Combos from Babeland and get some advice here
8. Get loads of great green gift and Valentine’s ideas from planetgreen including on how to green your sex
9. 2 tickets to an epic concert
10. Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Your Local Health Food Store will for sure have some great beauty gift sets. Bath salts, shampoos, lotions, potions, etc. Make sure it is organic, paraben and animal-free.
11. If all else fails, just wear a wolf shirt
-Avoid the corny (no stuffed animals, crappy chocolates, or balloons)
-Aim for sustainability
-Stay in budget
-Think about what your loved one is into and go with that
Also check out The ultimate yoga-enthusiast gift guide
Posted in Amazing, Books & Articles, Green, Love
Tagged babeland, chocolate, etsy, fair trade, gifts, ideas, lingerie, organic, planet green, suicide girls, sustainable, trader joe's, valentine's, whole foods